Tools Necessary for Install:
- Impact Drill or Breaker bar and 22mm Socket
- Break Spreader Tool
- Screw Driver
Duration: 20-40 Minutes
How Often: As needed
While a majority of modern vehicles employ disc brakes, Drum Brakes are still prevalent with older models of vehicles. Exactly How long do Drum Brakes Last? That is completely dependent on the vehicle and the continued maintenance of the vehicle over its lifetime. Although many suggest 150,000 Miles to be a good rule of thumb when deciding whether or not to replace rear drum Brakes. Typically, brakes are evaluated during tire rotations. However, if you recognize any of these tell-tale signs of Brake failure, it may be time to change out your Rear drum brakes for a new pair of OEM Brakes!
Signs of Brake Failure
1. Inconsistencies or vibrating when pressure is applied to the brake pedal. This can be due to brake shoes being so worn out that they cannot establish a tight press against the Drum
2.Hand brakes are also a good indication of impending brake failure. Any irregularities in your hand brakes pressure may be a sign you need to get Rear Drum Brakes. You can test your hand brakes by parking on a small hill and engaging the hand brake. If your car moves a couple of inches before coming to a complete stop, it may be time for a new set of OEM Brakes.
3. The last sign your brakes need to be changed is probably the most evident and severe. If you hear any type of scraping when attempting to brake, you should immediately seek assistance as your brake linings are completely worn down and the sound could very well be the sound of metal on metal mashing against each other.
You matter to us!
You are our #1 priority! The Tasca family always puts customer service above all else, and stands by our promise to deliver:
- Genuine OEM parts and accessories
- Brand new items (you will NEVER get a used part or accessory from us)
- Top-notch, personalized customer service (we’ve even won awards for our customer service)
- Guaranteed 100% order accuracy when provided with your VIN
- Unbeatable pricing
With 40% or more off list prices every day, our OEM prices are seriously among the lowest that you’re going to find.
What’s more, subscribers to our email list (just click here to sign up) get exclusive coupons, discounts, specials, and the latest news.
The Advice, How-to guides, and maintenance information featured on tascaParts.com is presented as helpful resources for general maintenance and automotive repairs. The presented guides on this site should be used at your own risk. Tascaparts.com assumes no responsibility for any physical injury that may occur to you or your vehicle while working on your vehicle. The information on this site is accurate and true to the best of Tascapart’s Knowledge, however, it is entirely possible that there may be omitted information or errors. Be sure to consult your owner’s manual or a licensed professional mechanic for vehicle-specific repair information. You may also refer to your owner’s manual for specific diagnostic, repair, and tool information for your particular vehicle.